Tag Archives: bitpim

Downloading Photos from Audiovox 8910 on a Mac

I’m trying to figure out an easier way to download pictures from my Audiovox 8910 camera phone. BitPim works well but it’s a bit of a pain in the butt and overkill for what I want to do. Ideally I’d like to have something that would allow me to just plug in the phone and grab pictures, much like a standard USB camera. It shouldn’t be too difficult since there are already examples on the Apple developer website. I think I can put a lot of it together but it’s just a matter of figuring out how to do it. Time for a lot of reading on how OS X works I guess. ;)

BitPim 0.7.31 issues with Audiovox 8910

I recently grabbed the 0.7.31 version of BitPim (a very fabulous app for connecting to various cell phones) and I ran into a number of issues with it. I’ve opted to revert back to the 0.7.28 version as it was quite stable for my Audiovox 8910.

The newer version kept failing with nasty errors on a lot of different filesystem tasks. The older version works fine for everything I want to do with it so I’ll just stop at that version for now. Maybe I’ll get around to it and make a very simple app to grab pictures off of the phone. That’s all I really want.

Audiovox 8910, BitPim, OS X and downloading pictures

Well, I finally got my USB data cable for my Audiovox 8910 cellphone. I had ordered it a while back through eBay. $10USD shipped. That’s a lot better than the $99.99CAD+tax that the Bell Store wanted for it.

Anyhoo, of course what’s the first thing I want to do? DOWNLOAD PICTURES! hehe. What else?

I tried at first to just connect it to my iBook but that didn’t seem to get me anywhere. I managed to find the BitPim application that has executables for Windows, Linux and OS X! I did get a little worried though when I saw they don’t support the Audiovox 8910. Oh No!

Now I had problems getting it to work on the iBook. I gave up and went to the XP box and had even more trouble. Finally I managed to find MAU108’s (& blu3ad3pt1’s) site which had a link to a newer version of the Curitel drivers. Once I started using those on the XP box everything started to work!

I got curious then and went back to the iBook. For some reason now it just worked. I’m not sure if this is because I was originally doing everything wrong or if it had something to do with getting it to work on the WinXP box. I had installed some ProlificUSBtoSerial driver I found on thephonemall.net and that might have been what allowed it all to work. I’m not sure because I deleted that driver and it still works. Maybe there’s something left over on the iBook from that driver install.

Anyhoo,it’s all good now! I can download all the stupid pictures I take with my camera phone now.